What's the best mulch for raspberries?

Bonnie KnutsonLinda SikutKen
+3

Always have lots of weeds in my rows of raspberries, so want to put down some mulch , but wondering what would be best .

• Bijous

I like using cedar mulch around my veggies and berries. Keeps a lot of the bugs at bay.
  • Ken

Shredded dry leaves is just about the best mulch there is and beyond the cost of collection they are free. You may try strips of newspaper to make a barrier on the dirt and cover it with leaves to keep it from blowing in the wind. I used this in my garden for a few years and by the next Spring the earth worms have done in the newspaper so there is no trace except the soil is better.
  • Linda Sikut

Here's an article about how to take care of raspberries and includes a section about the best kinds of much. Good luck and my you grow raspberries galore!

• Bonnie Knutson

We tore out all our old raspberries for the same reason. we started over, and used landscape Fabric around and between all the new plants. It worked really well. We don’t have anymore weed problems. You could leave your patch, in the spring when you prune, put down landscape fabric around the plants. Just use lots of landscape pins.