Ll
Ll
  • Ocala, FL

I have a Berber carpet burnt with an iRon? What to do ?

Joann Gonnella CopeKimL.g29498738
+12

Is there a way to disguise this? Should I rip out the carpet? What can I do that is cost-effective And easy DIY?
q i have a berber carpet burnt with an iron what to do
  • Jackie Bohner

Go to a carpet place and ask them what you should do.

• 17532838

Not sure if this will work but maybe try to gently scrap off the burned area with razor to help blend it. Be very gentle you do not want to break down the loops or make it fuzzy.
  • Barb

This happened to me after 1 week of new carpeting in the spare room and I had a left over piece of that carpeting and I called that carpet place and they sent a installer over to cut that area out and re-patch it and you would never know anything happened. I‘m hoping you have a left over piece, if not add a decorative area rug to complement that room.
  • Amethyst

I agree with Barb. That is the best way to disguise it. I've had it happen to me. If you don't have left over carpet see if you can cut a piece out from a closet and use that. You can always put something else down in the closet where it won't be so obvious.
  • Aime

Nothing you can do other than patch it, but it will be very visible!!! If you dont' have extra carpet, take some from the closet and then maybe find a remnant to be to replace the closet carpet.

That particular fiber in the carpet, polyproplylene /Olefin (Nylon too) melts with extreme heat. I've been in the carpet business for 37 years and I have made this same mistake myself! Good Luck!
  • Elaine Kater

try using sand paper to lightly remove the scorch

• Janet Holmes Moore

Paint a design on the carpet. Use acrylic paint and fabric medium. If aren't good with drawing, you can get stencils in Hobby Lobby and Michael's..
  • Lin18569431

Why not use the same IRON and repeat the pattern of the BURN and thus create a FLORAL- PETAL motif....when you cannot beat them ....join them. You can then repeat the first flower-petals at another point to make it look like an original design.

• Terri Kleinsmith

Put a pretty throw rug over it
  • Michele

Have you gone to website that Janet posted? I just did and read it. It sounds very simple. I actually have an iron mark on my living room carpet also...And it just so happens to be BERBER!!!. I am definitely going to try it. Thanks Janet for posting the website...
  • Ellis

Throw rug, or rearrange your furniture, or both.
  • L.g29498738

A paste of baking soda + water will gently bleach the rug. Make the paste very wet, lay a thick layer on top of just the burn and leave it to dry overnight. Vacumn up the next day. I used this method to remove dog poop and it works like a charm for that, so maybe it will help you. Can’t hurt!
  • Kim

I did that too!
  • Joann Gonnella Cope

if you have any remnants use that, if not go to a closet that is carpeted with the berber. With a sharp blade cut the iron burn out of the carpet and remove. Use the burnt pieced as a template and cut a piece of the remnant to size. I did not have one so went into a bedroom closet in the back corner and cut the square from a spot no one would see anyways. Pay attention the the "grain" or weave directions the carpet lays. You can tell that by laying the patch in the hole till it looks the best, seems to match the best. I used a hot glue gun and glued the edges of the existing carpet and then the edges of the patch. Lifting and gluing sections as I went. When everything was glued, I trimmed any long strands to hide and "combed" or brushed the seams until they blended. At first I was leery about vacuuming the patch but after 4 yrs it has held up fine.