Asked on Oct 6, 2017

Can you tell me what to do with wet plaster?



When we peal it off and mud it and sand it, it looks great then all of a sudden it starts to peal Again. Is there a bonding agent that needs to b put down before mudding it?

3 answers
  • Ken
    on Oct 6, 2017

    Is this drywall? Your question sounds as if you are trying to repair something that is staying wet?
    • Nola Patti
      on Oct 6, 2017

      No it is old wet plaster The house was built in 1954 and the entire home is wet plaster
  • Roxaneg
    on Oct 6, 2017

    Plasterers use a PVA glue/water solution to seal the old plaster. The old plaster can be of a different composition than your patch and the chemical reaction is causing it to reject the new patch, plus the old wall plaster can be sucking out the water in the new patch.

    Either way, you need to seal the old plaster before applying the new. Try Gardz from Zinser.
  • Ken
    on Oct 6, 2017

    I get it. Never heard it called by that name. "Wet" is the material, not the condition. I've used regular drywall joint compound on vinyl wrapped drywall and it adhered well with no other treatment.

    There is a concrete bonding solution, looks like thin white glue available wherever they sell concrete mix. works great on concrete and it may do the job for you.
Your comment...