How do I keep squirrels from eating my flower bulbs?

Tami DeanRoxanegPgl
+3

Last year I tried cayenne pepper and garlic powder, and they still ate nearly all the tulip bulbs. We're planting daffodils instead this year, as they seem to not like those as much. I want to be sure, though. What to do?

• Pgl

Plant your bulbs after the last frost....you may have to wait until next year for blooms. Or place screen or rabbit wire over them and cover with about 1 1/2 inches of soil leave , just pull up the screen in early spring.
  • Roxaneg

Have you tried using chicken wire over the bulbs? Or planting them in a wire basket?

I tend to plant my bulbs deeper than recommended since I;m living in Squirrel City, USA as well. I plant tulips at least 3x the height of the bulb and make sure I leave nothing behind to attract the little buggers . . . eh, squirrels. I usually mulch everything once it's cold so the squirrels and mice don't have a nice cozy spot to burrow in.
  • Tami Dean

Try putting tooth picks around them in the dirt. It will hurt their little feet.