Deane
Deane
  • Jasper, IN

When do you transplant the tall decorative grasses?

DeaneCatherine AnspaughBijous
+5

Not the whole plant. I'm getting a chunk from a friend & want to put it in my yard.

If you live in a area where the ground is still warm enough you can plant it now
  • KattywhampusLOL

Hi Deane, I hope your friend knows whether or not you are getting a warm or cool weather grass, because THAT is the deciding factor on when it can be transplanted:
    Good Luck Deane and thanks for asking HOMETALK about when to transplant tall decorative grasses :)
  • Bijous

Trim it down to about 3 inches tall. Plant and protect with a full cover of mulch. Water in well. If any new sprouts start to show (because you've had un-seasonal warm weather) cut and cover with mulch. After last frost of the season, uncover, but keep mulch around base. Good luck.
  • Catherine Anspaugh

That depends on where you live. What zone do you live in?
  • Catherine Anspaugh

I would think it would be ok to put it in the ground now, as long as it isn't frozen. Just cut it back to a few inches tall. Make sure you protect it with horticultural fleece (which you can buy at the hardware store inexpensively) or some mulch. Remove in spring
  • Deane

I'm in southern Indiana. It was in the 80's all last week. Thank you!