Ellis B. Stewart
Ellis B. Stewart
  • Lady Lake, FL

FIRST Winter, here in Ocala, FL

Ellis B. StewartCatherine AnspaughJanet Pizaro

Coming from DENVER, where I know how to Winterize Plants - somewhat confused if Winterization is even necessary here in Florida. Do plants hibernate as in Colorado or just keep blooming. Are pruning methods the SAME here? How about Lawns, are the Fall and Winter "blends" of lawn fertilizer needed here? And, since it's Sandy Soil, would one continue to water lawns and plants as vigorously as you do in Summer months? Don't mind being a novice, but don't want to look stupid either.

you need to specify which plants you have and the type of lawn for answer to be correctly given
  • Catherine Anspaugh

Yes to pretty much all of the above. Very occasionally we may get a day or two in the "winter" where it may come close to and/or freeze. You will know well in advance. For the most part we just carry on as normal. At least the weather will cool down. It was a hot/humid one this year.
  • Ellis B. Stewart

Thank you - that helps! WAS seeing me with 2 foot of mulch, burlap wraps and cones - then looking like an idiot gardener. NOW I can just carry on with success. Thanks again.