How do you get rid of mice in your house? Havent seen one in 8 years.

EbbjdlMaggieB. Enne
+4

Now I have them, I really don't want to use poison since I have a dog.
I heard peppermint spray and dryer sheets help. They certainly havent
helped me. Have caught a few in traps but they are everywhere.
HELP!! HELP!!!

• Katherine S Glusic-Rylko

the tomkat has the green"food" that kills them the food to kill them stays inside the device so ur animal can't be harmed.... means the mice die somewhere...? if u think you have that many may need to call. I would be viligent with traps ( see what I killed) and try to look for how they are coming in. We bought an old 160 yo home and literally have no way for critters to get in now! https://www.tomcatbrand.com/en-us/library/identifying-mice-rats/faq-rats-mice

• KattywhampusLOL

Hello Mw, With all the heavy rains all over the place this year their normal homes are being flooded out like everyone else's, and although I DO have a soft spot for feral animals I certainly DON'T want them moving in with me! Lots of traps, Mw, lots and lots of traps ... the type you empty and reuse over and over again. At least, that's what I am doing, although I HAVE thought about poison being placed in places where the dog can't go, I am worried that a poisoned varmit will make its way into my home, in the walls (or Heaven forbid in the venting system) and die there, stinking up my entire home and making even more problems for me. My sister suggested some sort of trap that catches something like a dozen mice and then she releases them live (which very well could be adding to my own problem -- her live releases are probably making their way across the road and down to MY place)! I found a link (below) in another forum where one person said they used something called the Rat Zapper which worked wonderfully on the mouse infestation at their place and said if (Heaven forbid) anyone actually got rats to use the Rat Zapper Ultra ... after work I am calling the Big Box stores in my area to see if any of them carry the Rat Zapper and if so then I am going to buy one and see how well it works. If it works as good as touted, I am buying 2 or 3 more and try to get ahead of the game. Maybe I'll need to call in the pros but I hope not, and maybe I will resign to poisoning after all ... I hope not. Good Luck Mw! and thank you for asking HOMETALK for answer to getting rid of mice.
  • B. Enne

Check everywhere and start caulking holes, slots, anything that seems off. in siding, eavestroughs, around windows, on the roof, near your chimney etc.
    Check your weatherstripping around and under doors and garage doors. We had some come in around our skylight. The slit was so thin, but that was their entry point.
    Our exterminator walked around with us and pointed out all kinds of things that we missed. He told us to remove perimeter plantings and make sure that our leaves were raked up constantly. He also said to wait for the afternoon on a warm day to fill holes, explaining that if there is no food source out, the mice are just coming in to nest, and go out during the day. Once that is done (or have someone do it at the same time), you need to set traps along the perimeter where you see droppings. There will be many less inside, so you should be able to catch them more easily. Peanut butter works better than cheese in spring traps. Don't use sticky traps, since the mice will often self-mutilate to escape. If you use a humane trap, you need to drop them off more than a km away, otherwise they just come back.
  • Maggie

I had a mouse problem under my island, they used to get into my tea towel draw, then some one told me to buy spray foam & cover all around any openings, so i removed the draws(tight squeeze) & no problems since
  • Ebbjdl

Start with cat hair, I'm sure you have a friend who has a cat. Have them save you some hair from brushing them. Get several envelopes and put a little cat hair in each, seal it. Poke some small holes in the envelopes, and place them in your bottom cabinets. They get the scent of the cat, and they take off for a new home somewhere else.