Lindsay Eidahl
Lindsay Eidahl
  • Cedar Rapids, IA

DIY Painted Buffet Makeover – Making It Pretty Again!

$35

This was the first piece I rescued in early spring last year! I couldn't wait for yard sales to start happening in our area so I could head out and hunt for treasures like these. I couldn't believe I found this piece at the first sale of the year!
diy painted buffet makeover making it pretty again
This buffet had great features, but it has its problems too. It was scratched and had a lot of wear around the edges. I knew when I saw it that I was going to paint it. (Sorry for all of those wood furniture lovers out there. I painted it.) It wasn't worth it to me to try and restore it because there were tons of chunks missing from it.
I started by sanding the entire piece.
Then, I painted the entire piece white. I used both a roller and a paint brush to complete the entire thing. There were a lot of details on the piece that weren't getting covered well with the roller so I had to use a brush as well.
This piece is a show-stopper now! It is beautiful! I didn't have room to keep it so it went to a great home where someone was so excited to have it and use it.
I always love what a few coats of paint can do to a piece! To see more about this makeover, head to my blog: https://mycreativedays.porch.com/white-painted-buffet-makeover/

• Paint  (home depot)
  • Paint brush  (home depot)
  • Paint roller  (home depot)
Lindsay Eidahl

• Ryan Angel

Did you not have to seal it to keep things from sticking to painted piece?

• Bernita

I have two buffets that have been “antiquated “. This was popular finishing process used in the ‘60s” and maybe the “70s”. If this finish is roughingly sanded with a palm sander can it be painted? If not, what are my options? These pieces of furniture are totally wood and there is a stamp on the side of the drawers that is stamped “vet ware”. I do not know if these pieces of furniture were made by the “ vets” or for the “vets”. What is the best way to may these pieces of furnitures attractive?

• Bernita

• Ric33686246

strip it to see what is underneath before you decide to paint it. I had an antiqued dresser for 30 years from my husbands grandmother and when I stripped it-actually most of it with a razor scraper and it peeled off in sheets-I found a beautiful design that matched an armoire that was my grandfathers. I varnished it.