DIY Painted Buffet Makeover – Making It Pretty Again!

$35

This was the first piece I rescued in early spring last year! I couldn't wait for yard sales to start happening in our area so I could head out and hunt for treasures like these. I couldn't believe I found this piece at the first sale of the year!
This buffet had great features, but it has its problems too. It was scratched and had a lot of wear around the edges. I knew when I saw it that I was going to paint it. (Sorry for all of those wood furniture lovers out there. I painted it.) It wasn't worth it to me to try and restore it because there were tons of chunks missing from it.
I started by sanding the entire piece.
Then, I painted the entire piece white. I used both a roller and a paint brush to complete the entire thing. There were a lot of details on the piece that weren't getting covered well with the roller so I had to use a brush as well.
This piece is a show-stopper now! It is beautiful! I didn't have room to keep it so it went to a great home where someone was so excited to have it and use it.
I always love what a few coats of paint can do to a piece! To see more about this makeover, head to my blog: https://mycreativedays.porch.com/white-painted-buffet-makeover/

• Paint  (home depot)
  • Paint brush  (home depot)
  • Paint roller  (home depot)

Lindsay Eidahl

• Ryan Angel

Did you not have to seal it to keep things from sticking to painted piece?
  • Bernita

I have two buffets that have been “antiquated “. This was popular finishing process used in the ‘60s” and maybe the “70s”. If this finish is roughingly sanded with a palm sander can it be painted? If not, what are my options? These pieces of furniture are totally wood and there is a stamp on the side of the drawers that is stamped “vet ware”. I do not know if these pieces of furniture were made by the “ vets” or for the “vets”. What is the best way to may these pieces of furnitures attractive?

• Bernita

• Ric33686246

strip it to see what is underneath before you decide to paint it. I had an antiqued dresser for 30 years from my husbands grandmother and when I stripped it-actually most of it with a razor scraper and it peeled off in sheets-I found a beautiful design that matched an armoire that was my grandfathers. I varnished it.