How to remove paint from brick

Pfh27524803Lisa Hall Smith
+10

Had my front entrance way painted, and painter spilled small drops of paint and left light sneaker prints all over the brick landing. Have removed larger drops with razor scraper, but paint seems to have seeped into brick. Wire brush hasn't worked. Paint is latex exterior.

• Suzette

Good luck!
  • Liz Toone

You probably need to powerwash it.
  • Linda

Muriatic acid. You can find it at Lowes or Home Depot.
  • 27524803

Call the painter and have him come back and remove it (or pay for the removal)...if he is a professional, he should have known to cover the brick. If he does not call you back... leave a review on his web for Facebook page that he did a good/bad/okay job on the painting... but left footprints on your brick.
    Otherwise...
    Try power washing and if that does not work you may have to call a mobile Soda Blasting company (they strip paint from cars), and finally you may have to paint and seal the brick.
    Good Luck !
    • Pfh

Thanks! I gave him several drop cloths to use. Cannot understand how he managed to do this.
  • Lisa Hall Smith

Ugh.I have those spots too. Wish I could blame it on someone besides myself. I used a wire brush and elbow grease. It doesn't take a lot of effort with a good wire brush. Just be careful not to press too hard as you are removing the paint along with a layer of the brick. You may want to test out how your wire brush works on an extra brick, if you have one, or on a brick that is not out in the open.
  • 27524803

You cannot cure stupidity or laziness... remind him that you did so when he wants to use you as a reference...and it probably would not hurt to let the person know who referred him to you as well.
  • Pfh

Hi everyone -

Thanks to all of you for your help! I tried all of your suggestions, and power washing worked best. It removed nearly all of the paint spots. Oddly enough, the most difficult to remove were the sneaker prints, which were quite light.

Thanks again!