Melamine kitchen cabinets

ShoshanaCathy DillonFauxgal
+3

I’m renting a house and the kitchen cabinets are not nice at all. They’re made of brown melamine but the previous tenants had painted over them which is now chipping and they‘re awful. What can I do to repaint them what the process and what paint do I use? HELP

• Jay Paden

well they probably didn't sand them first you will need to sand that new layer off and put an enamel paint back on
  • Nancy Turner

See if the landlord can help you out with perhaps supplies and/or help. It should be them that repair what a previous tenant did. Make sure to ok anything you do with them so they don't make you undo it or charge you for changes to the property.
  • Fauxgal

Don't do anything until you talk to your landlord. Once you can legally work on them, get it in writing, you can sand everything off.
    IF they are covered in plastic that comes off when you sand, then you can peel the rest of the plastic off. The wood underneath is a compressed wood, so you will need to seal it very well with primer under the sink area, so water can never get into the "wood."
    Use an oil primer.
    Then if you can, buy PPG/Porter Paint's Advantage 900, and paint them with that. Semi Gloss sheen. It is a water based paint, but it is VERY strong. Let each coat dry overnight before proceeding. No need for a clear coat sealer at the end.

• Cathy Dillon

I would like to second the importance of not getting the "wood"/ compressed wood stuff wet!! It is the cheapest most awful sawdust-ish mess and that's when it is dry!! It will totally disintegrate if really soaked. Do try to seal it on any edge / every edge.
  • Shoshana

Sanding is probably a good place to start for this project.