Kitchen Lighting Update

$18

Got a chance to take a 10-year-old pendant light and modernized it - cost - less then you think.

This is the before. My husband had put up the original pendant light almost 10 years ago. It was cool, it match the kitchen, but it it started feeling a little outdate. we wanted something modern but didn't want to spend a bunch of cash. Oh and I didn't want to rewire the light fixtur ether.

I considered buying new pendant shades, but at $20 to $30 a piece it was more then I wanted to spend so I thought about making some out of mason jars. I couldn't find the exact look I wanted for that.
I took the shades down to clean them and to see what size they were. It was then that I discovered that they were just painted and that I could scrape the paint off with a scraper blade. The paint came off really easily. Turns out the glass was clear under all that paint. Yeah!
I spray painted the rings that hold the shades in place so that they would not stand out as much. Black seemed like a great color for that.
I had been wanting to use some Edison bulbs for a bit, and I found these on sale.
The final product turned out pretty good. Although I might recommend getting a higher wat on the bulbs so that they match the brightness of the kitchen. I will be doing that for sure.

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space