How can I measure a toilet to be replaced for another one

Suellen HintzGas30514285Phenonw
+4

I want to replace an old toilet and how can I measure the new toilet if is going to fit there without removing the old toilet......

• Nancy Turner

Go to the home improvement store and ask the associate that works in that department. He will know how to tell you to measure your existing one and measure the one you want to buy to make sure there is enough room.
  • Roxaneg

Measure from the wall to the closet bolts on the floor before you remove the old one. Round down to the nearest rough in size. Most of them are 10, 12 or 14".
  • Height, depth and width.
  • Mitchell thompson

Measure from the hold down bolts to the wall
  • Phenonw

The others answered your question. But I have something to add. When you install your new one you will need a wax ring. Use the regular ring, it will have plenty of wax. Do NOT use the professional ring, it has very little wax & Does NOT seal correctly. Most professional plumbers do not use this one.
  • Gas30514285

Answer this Hometalker's question!Yes thanks for the help to all
  • Suellen Hintz

For the base, measure from the wall to the middle of the bolt. That's the most important measurement but if it's 1/2 in off it's because of the baseboard so don't worry about it. Otherwise, compare measurements of the overall toilet to compare or measure the architectural space if that's an issue.