Joebearhawaii
Joebearhawaii
  • United States

How to Make a 2x4 Chair & Bench

$100

If you're handy with a saw and paint brush you can make your own custom lanai furniture for under $100. I didn't want something on my Lanai that didn't fit into the environment. There is a lot of green and foliage. I wanted something non ordinary for my lanai and found these molded frames on line. Designed to use 2x4's, it was a simple painless project that only took a few days. You'll need to let the stain dry and coating to dry, hence a few days.

how to make a 2x4 chair bench
I saw the frames on line while I was looking for something else. What's cool about these frames is you can make the length of the chair or bench any length you want as you're using 2x4's. However don't go over 5 feet as it gets a little woobly.
how to make a 2x4 chair bench
Next I cut the wood to my desired length. I made a 32" wide chair. I bought 4-8' 2x4's and cut them for the chair at a length of 32", giving me 3-32" sections each, with a bit left over. You'll need 9 total for the chair or bench, whichever you decide to make. The bench will require more 2x4's as it's longer.
how to make a 2x4 chair bench
I used a router to form the edge where your legs hit the wood to make it more comfortable and then I sanded it first using a 80 grid sandpaper and then a 220 grid sandpaper to make sure there were no splinters.
how to make a 2x4 chair bench
Next I stained the wood with a Rust- Oleum Varathene Cabernet. I used 3 coats to get a deep rich finish, followed by 3 more coats of Sikkens Cetol satin coating for sun protection. I love this stuff, it hold up longer than anything else I've tried.
how to make a 2x4 chair bench
With the hardware included I pre drilled the holes and attached it all together in less than an hour. The frames even come with holders for your favorite beverage. Pretty cool furniture for the price and certainly one of a kind.

• 2x4's, Rust-Oleum Varathane, Sikkens Cetol  (Home Depot & Lowes)
  • Frames  (Amazon)

• Joebearhawaii

Jean, good for you. Have fun nd enjoy..don't forget to either route or sand the first run of wood that hits under your leg to get the edge smooth...
  • Debra Learn

Thanks so much for the inspiration. The chair is done and hubby is putting the bench together.
    , Bench is finished and the color outstanding in the Arizona sun
    • Joebearhawaii

Good for you. It's an ez project, and doesn't break the bank! Plus, you can always take it apart and redo it with another color..change it up a bit!