How to Make a 2x4 Chair & Bench

$100

If you're handy with a saw and paint brush you can make your own custom lanai furniture for under $100. I didn't want something on my Lanai that didn't fit into the environment. There is a lot of green and foliage. I wanted something non ordinary for my lanai and found these molded frames on line. Designed to use 2x4's, it was a simple painless project that only took a few days. You'll need to let the stain dry and coating to dry, hence a few days.

I saw the frames on line while I was looking for something else. What's cool about these frames is you can make the length of the chair or bench any length you want as you're using 2x4's. However don't go over 5 feet as it gets a little woobly.
Next I cut the wood to my desired length. I made a 32" wide chair. I bought 4-8' 2x4's and cut them for the chair at a length of 32", giving me 3-32" sections each, with a bit left over. You'll need 9 total for the chair or bench, whichever you decide to make. The bench will require more 2x4's as it's longer.
I used a router to form the edge where your legs hit the wood to make it more comfortable and then I sanded it first using a 80 grid sandpaper and then a 220 grid sandpaper to make sure there were no splinters.
Next I stained the wood with a Rust- Oleum Varathene Cabernet. I used 3 coats to get a deep rich finish, followed by 3 more coats of Sikkens Cetol satin coating for sun protection. I love this stuff, it hold up longer than anything else I've tried.
With the hardware included I pre drilled the holes and attached it all together in less than an hour. The frames even come with holders for your favorite beverage. Pretty cool furniture for the price and certainly one of a kind.

• 2x4's, Rust-Oleum Varathane, Sikkens Cetol  (Home Depot & Lowes)
  • Frames  (Amazon)

25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs

• Joebearhawaii
    Joebearhawaii

Jean, good for you. Have fun nd enjoy..don't forget to either route or sand the first run of wood that hits under your leg to get the edge smooth...
  • Debra Learn
    Debra Learn

Thanks so much for the inspiration. The chair is done and hubby is putting the bench together.
    , Bench is finished and the color outstanding in the Arizona sun
    • Joebearhawaii
      Joebearhawaii

Good for you. It's an ez project, and doesn't break the bank! Plus, you can always take it apart and redo it with another color..change it up a bit!