Asked on Oct 6, 2017

Needing some help



I have a very old and dated family collage. Not only does the frame need replacing, but I'd like to change the color of the mat. I've priced having a new mat created and they are really expensive! Anyone have any advice on what kind of paint to use and how to go about doing this?
q needing some help
14 answers
  • Johnavallance82
    on Oct 6, 2017

    Paint it or cover it with wrapping paper or fabric etc.........
  • Just paint what you have. Just about any inexpensive craft paint will work just fine. Or you can purchase a blank sheet of matting and trace your old one and cut out yourself with an xacto knife.
  • Roxaneg
    on Oct 6, 2017

    If you can, make a template out of the original. Then you can use it to cut your own out of matt board or some other paper/board. Choose something that is archival quality if it's going to be in contact with the photos.

    Matt board can be had at most craft stores and a good X-acto knife and some patience makes the openings happen. We did this for photos we had for over 20 years and they look great.
  • Janet
    on Oct 6, 2017

    I,m old and forget names but I think it,s called oak tag paper, It,s thicker than paper with a semi shine finish and comes in many colors. KMART, WALMART, craft stores and some pharmacies carry it. Just place your old one on top and trace the openings and cut them out. Then put your original pictures back in the same places. Hope this helps or someone younger than me can remember if this is the right name. Very
    cheap, a dollar or less for one.
  • Janet Pizaro
    on Oct 6, 2017

    use scrap book paper to change the look
  • Artemis
    on Oct 6, 2017

    I like your idea of painting the mat, instead of constructing a new one. I've tried to make my own mats before (out of the typical mat board) and it's not easy to get it cut nicely. Be careful not to get the mat too saturated with paint, maybe dry brush it, because the top paper layer may separate from the thicker board. I've never tried it so I'm just guessing. Good Luck and I'm going to try this next time I need to change the color or texture of a mat.

    Actually, I just checked and there's a post on Hometalk:
  • Karen Krysowaty
    on Oct 6, 2017

    I just used acrylic paint to repaint mine just don't soak it . It turned out great
  • 27524803
    on Oct 6, 2017

    If you can remove the photos, I would do that... then use several VERY LIGHT coats of spray paint, being careful not to get the mat too wet,as it could warp... let dry completely between coats.
    You could also glue on wall paper, a pretty fabric with a spray adhesive, there are some really pretty tissue papers out there ( crumple and then iron lightly to give interest)
  • Vicky Davis
    on Oct 9, 2017

    I agree with all the suggestions to trace the current mat onto something else. If you want the 'depth' of the mat board, try cutting a cardboard version. Or even cut a few cereal boxes and layer them, gluing all together. Then paint it. If it doesn't work, you haven't ruined the original!

    Rearrange the pictures if you can or want to when you put it all back together.
  • B. Enne
    on Oct 9, 2017

    All good suggestions.. I have actually found a mounting board similar to a mat, at a $ store and it was acid-free which is what is needed for photos. Surplus/liquidation stores often carry them too.
  • Kathy Jones Adams
    on Oct 9, 2017

    1 spray paint-- read up on good techniques Ive just become almost all spray paint now for many things had two pieces of furniture turn out wonderfuL! 2 have u thought about a place like walgreens rescanning pictures and getting whole new matt with pictures on or they even have neat new posters etc... This even allows you to have your originals back. FYI we had a flood in our home after this I made my husband scan every picture in our house. My mom and sister now have a disk. 😃
  • Jewellmartin
    on Oct 9, 2017

    When I have tried to remove the old photos from old, inexpensive mats, some photos have stuck or torn. Several have faded in the sun. But I love a collage showing the passing of years. Today I buy acid free cardstock or oak tag and use a frame with glass. I'm also more careful with where I hang the collages, making sure they are not in direct sunlight. Live and learn. 😇💖
  • Jerry
    on Oct 9, 2017

    I had the exact same frame and mat. I took picture of the collage with my smart phone so I could replace pictures in their correct spot later. Then I used a quality spray satin paint in black to paint the frame. Then used a quality spray flat paint in white to paint the mat. Use numerous VERY light coats of the white paint so you don't get rippling or warping of the mat. Continue with the light coats of white paint until all old color is gone. Allow mat to dry at least 2 days so it won't stick to the glass in the frame. Looking at picture on smart phone, re-assemble pictures in frame and enjoy!
  • Barb
    on Oct 9, 2017

    Hobby lobby, or any craft store has a professional trained framing staff that can make you a new colored matting for a new frame that you pick from there stock unless you have one purchased from another store and be sure to check Christmas tree shops for there budget friendly frames😎😊🎃🍂
Your comment...