Gail
Gail
  • Oklahoma City, OK

How do I get the musky smell out of laundry room?

Catherine AnspaughB. EnneJanet Pizaro
+3

• Ohiorn

Make sure your leave your washer lid is open after use. If you have a front loader, be sure to wipe out the bottom. If you have a window open it. Some people also install a ceiling fan (like in bathrooms) to exhaust moist air. Some also use a dehumidifer. I am cheap and in and I use a charcoal activated moisture absorber. You can find them in grocery stores.
  • Michele Pappagallo

This could be caused from several different things...dirty laundry, dampness and moisture , lack of air flow, etc. Try cleaning everything really well to remove any old dust, dirt, etc. Add a dehumidifier of there is dampness or moisture....that will help a lot. If you have a window in the room, open it on nice days and allow fresh air to circulate through the room as often as possible. Add a battery operated air freshener that will spray freshener every so often.
  • Dehumidifier and a fan, room may need better ventilation. Also open a bag of charcoal and set it in there for a week or so, it will help.

run white vinegar through the was cycle,wipe around the rubber ,use damp rid
  • B. Enne

I agree with most of the comments above. I personally avoid air fresheners, since they mask the odor. Non-toxic Damp Traps or Moisture eliminators (calcium chloride dihydrate pellets) from the $ stores are great, and can be emptied without any ill effects in the drain.
    Portable dehumidifiers work well, but a word to the wise. If you have an unfinished cement floor, you may find that it never goes off. I was told by a concrete installer, that it draws dampness constantly from the concrete, adding to the musty smell. When we moved it over onto carpeting, it made a world of difference, and it would cycle off.
    If the problem is really bad, you can use a fogger like Concrobium, or just spray some on, and then maintain, with the suggestions mentioned.
  • Catherine Anspaugh

Use Damp Rid. A lot of moisture is in that room, especially from the dryer. I bet you will be amazed how much moisture you collect in the Damp Rid containers.