Lynda
Lynda
  • Bedford, OH

How to winterize windows. Unable to replace windows at this time.

BetsyNancy WhitneyDfm
+10

• Vera Brady

There's a heavy duty clear plastic that you can get from Lowe's or Home Depot to use on the inside to cover your windows. Also, I heard that you could put bubble wrap on the window glass to help with insulation.

Three M has window insulation kits available at Home Improvement stores
  • Add weather stripping. Some places sell a pre measured amount in a box and other places sell by the yard.
  • Nancy Turner

I would go with the window film, it really does work. Do not get the duck brand! It rips and melts real easy as it is really thing and that makes it hard to work with. I have found the 3M brand to be the best and easy to work with.
  • Jean

Weather stripping is pretty cheap at Wal-Mart. I have used the self stick with foam on one side seems to work pretty good.
  • Dfm

i tried the bubble wrap, it didn't work- kept falling off. the clear plastic film worked better for me. some windows have no insulation around them, if you can get a piece of trim off the side of the window take a peek. insulate as needed.

many places sponsor energy efficiency- and if your income meets certain guidelines volunteers will come to to your house and assist with weatherizing your house. they brought covers for the house ac and for quilting and crafts room ac and heater, plastic plugs for unused outlets, and another place donated the outlet insulating pads.

the other thing i did was to check trim work at the base of the wall, and cieling -buildings settle and gaps show up. i put rope caulk to match the base board

all i can say is the corner bed room still hits 55F in winter. better than 42.

i don't like using a caulking gun and catrige in the house so i used rope caulking. it comes in a few different colors to match trim and is not drippy. if you dont get it just right the first time you can take it off and do over.
    • B. Enne

Dfm, where do you buy your rope caulking? That stuff lasts forever, and I can't find it here anywhere anymore! When I ask for it, the stores either don't know what it is, or tell me they haven't seen it in years.
      We found some in our garage when we bought our house, and it was over 20 years old and still pliable.
  • Cindy

Installing window film on your windows will help stopping drafts. It will also help keep your heating costs down.
  • Dfm

i get mine from the local lumber yard....they carry just about a bit of every thing...
  • Dfm

its one of those season them. I got mine at the local lumber yard. You may have to call arround
  • Dfm

i found it at my local lumber yard....
  • Nancy Whitney

Spray window with. Water , and cover with handy wrap.

I used that plastic film that you use double sided tape on and then a hair dryer to you shrink the plastic to make a tight fit. If you are going to use this, start a bit of tape at the centre top and centre bottom. Then the centre sides. That way you know that it's centered. Then, finish taping. Put the tape on the window and then stick the plastic on. One very important thing is when you are shrinking it, start at the top, don't hold the hair dryer (on hot) too close, and the MOST important thing, make sure the cat isn't sitting on the ledge behind the plastic when you're done:( Don't ask - sigh:(