Sharon
Sharon
  • Canada

I want to bring my window box vines in for the winter.

SharonKaren KrysowatyRobyn Garner
+5

I was told they need to be isolated from the indoor plants for a time. How long and is that all I do?

what vines are you referring to?
  • Nancy Turner

They would need to be isolated in case they had bugs so that they would not spread it to other plants. Rinse them top and bottom of leaves, apply a spray for bugs, like a horticultural spray just a day or so before you bring them in. They should be good to bring in. You should think about new potting soil too, in case it may be harboring anything.
  • MGMN

Get Dyna-Gro 100% Natural Pure Neem Oil, it's a insectacide, fungacide, & bacteracide all in one. Follow package directions for mixing, then spray leaves top & bottom. Also, water plant with same mixture, it will eradicate any bugs in the soil, so no need to repot & works systemically for any bugs missed in spraying. I've used this method for many years & have never had a in house bug problem.
  • Robyn Garner

If the vines are appropriate for your growing area, why do you want to bring them inside? Many plants require the seasonal changes to do well. If you're concerned about the boxes themselves, you can protect them from damage by covering with burlap. Do this after the first frost and when the boxes are dry.
  • Sharon

they are mostly ivies: swedish, grapevine. I live in Northern Ontario, Canada and they will not survive our winter.
  • Sharon

ivies such as swedish and grapevine I live in Northern Ontario, Canada so they will not survive our winters.
  • Karen Krysowaty

I remove mine from the planters and wash and then repot for the winter. I have ivy too and then I can move them back outside in the spring. Same ivies no cost in the boxes.
  • Sharon

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to do too!