Christmas Vase Beaded Pickle Jar

$7

11 WEEKS TIL CHRISTMAS! Can you believe it?!
My stepdaughter goes through a gallon of pickles every few weeks. Usually I just toss these in the recycle bin. But I wanted to make something simple out of glass tonight. So I sent the latest empty jar through the dishwasher.
Afterward the labels peeled off with ease.
I had 3 packages of beaded trim in the craft closet and I wanted a project that I could mindlessly do, so I grabbed the hot gun and started to glue and wrap the jar in trim.
You'll notice that one of the packages was a smaller bead, so I decided to use that on the top. If I had 3 of the same size I would have preferred that. But I wanted to make a free-to-me project with supplies I had on hand.
I began to wrap and glue the jar, coil by coil. It was easiest to me to put on a strip of 4" of glue at a time and hold it for a few seconds. I'm sure there's a better glue out there for this project, so if you'd prefer a different glue, go for it!
When I used all three strands (the two larger strands were 12" each and the smaller bead size was 18") there was about 1.5" of space that made it look unfinished. So I found some lime boa and glued that around the top. I wasn't intending to go full on Christmas with this project, but I used what was on hand because I didn't want to run out in the storms tonight. The news anchor was warning of tornados (welcome to Kansas, there's a reason we love our red glitz here 😉).
Finally, I glued an inexpensive broach on the front and popped in a few stems of Christmas flowers I had in holiday supplies.
And that's all there is to it. Easy peasy!
My cost estimate below is what you could recreate this for if you had to buy the supplies new at the dollar store.
Now I feel like I should wrap presents and sip hot chocolate 😋!
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

• Diane Arcuri

What about adding a string of white lights inside?
  • Tod31310633

Are there any pictures? Just curious.
  • Ruth Wilcox

as project for nursing home residents, do you think double sided tape would work? I'm afraid glue would be too messy for them but I like this idea.
    • Jean Montgomery

Possibly but how about the low temp glue sticks? They wouldn’t burn the residents hands
    • Brooke Maloney

Try using bbq brushes to brush on elmers glue or another craft glue like modge podge (I think that's what it's called)?? I've made something similar years ago. We coated the glass Clearly Canadian drink bottles with Elmer's glue then rolled the bottles in loose seed beads. They don't weigh nearly as much as mardi gras beads but it should still work. Have fun & THANK you for what you're doing for the seniors
    • Ann Lean

Tacky glue?
    • Jennifer moutrey

Craft tape glue. It's double sided sticky & it is in a thing like the rollable white out. I found mine at walmart for $5 a 4pack. I use it for all my crafts. Hope this helps.
    • Sharon Mercer McDaniel

Use a product called U-glue it is a sturdy fouble sided sticky tape. I know joanne fabric sells the rolls. It does not take much to secure a section of beading.
    • Kathleen Carlson

I'm a senior so yes, thank you Brooke! I get really lonely. I almost

look forward to going to a home. At least I'll have someone to talk to.

• Carla

I used an idea I picked up from Pinterest. I just brushed on regular school glue and sprinkled Epson Salts on while the glue was still wet. When it was dry, I put a candle in. The Epson Salts sparkles and makes a beautiful glow. FYI - if you use it as a vase with fresh flowers, make sure water does not get on the Epson Salts.

• Dor22143442

Wow!! that is gorgeous. What size jar, did you use?
  • Sonia Clark

Could you use beaded necklaces and just cut them to make a line of beads? a rainbow one would be pretty!

• Sarinasala1

Love this idea I’m going to do this for Christmas.Great as a centre piece

• Dee

Love the results!!! Great job!