How to grow fennel (anise) bulbs?

Janet PizaroVma7526798

• Vma7526798

I clicked too soon - I wanted to add that I've tried the last 2 summers to grow them from starters that I got at the local garden store. My garden is limited to big pots on the deck because that gets the best sun. I thought that maybe I had planted them too closely last year so I gave them more room this year. I get lovely tops with lots of stuff I can put in my cooking. But I never get bulbs - just a bunch of twisted roots around a very small (like less than 1") nub. I live at 6,200' and we have coolish summers but I waited till it warmed up. So what did I do wrong? I have a great recipe for fennel bulbs au gratin that I want to try.
    • Vma7526798

Ok it looks as if I have the one that shoots up very tall and is used as an herb but doesn't make bulbs. I have used lots of the herb part in cooking. What a great resource that web site is. Thanks so much.