Lillie Yancey
Lillie Yancey
  • Tutorial Team
  • Maywood, IL

How to clean old hardwood floors

2dogalLinda SparksRoxaneg
+6

I bought a house built in 1952, that had carpet in all bedrooms. Took up carpet and see nasty dirty wooden floors. How can I safely clean these floors?

• Ann Cherkas Halstead

we had to have ours sanded and restrained. 3 bedrooms and a hall ran about $1800.
  • 2dogal

Vacuum thoroughly, then clean with Murphy's Oil Soap made for wood floors. It leaves a nice soft shine, not oily.
  • Roxaneg

Use a good hardwood floor cleaner such as Murphy's Oil Soap. You might have to wash it a couple of times.

Once they're clean, it's decision time. You can have them sanded and stained professionally or you can rent a sander from the local big box for a fraction of the cost, or you can paint or use a new carpet to hide the wear and tear. Or you can rip up or you can cover up.

Sanding it yourself is a lot of work. I used a small belt sander and sanded a 12x20 room to bring back a beautiful maple hardwood floor. I didn't have any money and I didn't think I could handle a big sander, so for less than $100 excluding the sander, I did the entire floor and it looked beautiful.
  • Linda Sparks

Vacuum them really well then mop with a solution of clorox and water. If there's a strong odor use a strong solution.
  • 2dogal