Elissa
Elissa
  • Carrollton, GA

Should septic tanks be cleaned on a regular schedule (every 3 years)?

2dogalDarlene WillimanFL
+2

Home built and occupied by only elderly mother in 2001. In 2011, I moved in. We have no problems with septic tank.

• Linda Sparks

Not necessarily. If everything is moving through the lines easily, there's no need to clean it out. I have 2 that's 20 years old, never been cleaned out and work fine.
  • Roxaneg

Most well-designed systems have enough space for 3-5 years of use. It's recommended that septic tanks get pumped every three years.
  • FL

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
  • Darlene Williman

If it's working without backing up I don't think it needs cleaning but you could feed it some yeast to boost the good bacteria that makes it work. I just flush a package of dry yeast {open pack and pour the yeast in toilet, not unopened package) down it once a year. If your tank needs it great, if it doesn't it won't hurt it.
  • 2dogal

NO, it does not have to be cleaned every three years. That's an average. It depends upon various things: How the tank is sized, how many people use it, what is put down there, ie: like food and grease from a sink grinder. You can ask how much it would cost just to have someone come check to see if it needs pumping. I have one and only put toilet paper specially made for septic tanks. Nothing else goes in it!