The Shabby Nest
The Shabby Nest
  • Saint Charles, IA

Dining room set Chalk/Milk paint redo

I had this monstrous gorgeous old table I had picked up at a swap meet. I had spotted it first thing in the morning I went over to check it out. The man was wanting $100 for it. I told him but it needed work the veneer was missing in a few places from the top was kinda wobbled. He said if it hasn't sold by the end of the day we can bargain.
Well the end if the day couldn't come fast enough! I checked on it all through out the day. Trying to be sneaky so he wouldn't see me!
Finally with 10 minutes left of the sale I wandered over. He said I can do $75. I just looked at it some more and said I will give you $40 it needs work, it's heavy you said you have hauled it to several sales so I'm willing to take it off your hands. He looked at me and said my wife will probably kill me but it's yours!!! Forty Bucks what a steal!
I was elated!! It did sit in my workshop for several months before I got to it. I pulled it out and debated what to do with the awful top. Decided to peel off as much as I could of the loose bad veneer. Sanded it down around the edges I had peeled and filled with wood putty. Then sanded it all down.
I had some chairs that were curb finds which was amazing to me people were throwing these out!! My MIL was the one who had found them and she ended up not using them so I snagged them from her!!
I painted the table top a French Grey milk paint with the bonding agent. I painted the body white chalk paint and the chairs. I shabbied it all. Did some details in the grey. I put a combo of dark and clear wax over it all. My arms felt like they were going to fall off after two days of waxing!!
I covered the chair seats in drop cloth and put a stencil on the seats. I scotch guarded the crud out of the seats!!
I love how pretty it is!
dining room set chalk paint redo, chalk paint, painted furniture

The Shabby Nest

• Tina Ungerank

Love 💖

• Jami Finnerty

I was deciding to paint my table and cars white or black. Thank you for the inspiration, because I will do both. Problem solved! I would love a tutorial on how you apolstered the chairs, and made the pleats. I love how it turned out!