My kitchen counters is white tile blocks with white grout Can I paint

Lisa Hall SmithEileenElaine
+10

q my kitchen counters is white tile blocks with white grout can i paint
  • Elaine

Yes! I did my bathroom floors two years ago and it looks like a brand new floor! The floor had some stains (from the previous owner). I tried everything to remove them with no luck. I went to the dollar store and bought a bottle of craft paint in “white“ then a bottle in “cream”, mixed the two together and after another final cleaning of the grout, started painting. I used a narrow artist-type brush and as I went along, wiped off any paint that went on the tiles with a damp sponge. As I said, I am REALLY pleased with the results! The paint hasn’t worn off ... or chipped off at all!
    • Glenna Wilburn

I think I will go with your idea I like the white tile but hate the white grout think I will go with black thanks a lot

Rust-Oleum or Homax Tub and Tile Paint kits. Home Depot, Lowes, Menards.
  • Katie Nadea

Make sure you keep a cutting board on hand at all times. I have painted royal blue formica cabinets and it worked out well. Apply paint with a roller; consider using a quality exterior paint (but make sure it's food-safe!), and finish with a clear polyurethane.
    • Glenna Wilburn

I’ve been thinking about painting just have to jump into it lol and thank you for the information
  • Ili

I will try Elaine's tip in my bathroom vanity...will let you know...lol
  • Janice Moyer

I am doing my kitchen floor now. Cleaning grout now with Clorox gel toilet bowl cleaner. Let set about 20 mins and wash floor. Let floor dry thoroughly dry. Buy grout sealer from tile company. Ask for plastic bottle with roller wheel to apply sealer. Need to apply twice. Wait 30 mins to apply 2nd application. Then let cure for 48 to 72 hrs. Guaranteed for 10 years. *** scrub grout with narrow brush before washing floor. When applying sealer use large sponge to wipe off tile.

• MelMel

Definitely trying this. Knew of Clorox but not consider gel toilet bowl cleaner. Would not trust paint to stick w/water and food prep, even w/cutting board, and never on floor to be mopped. Sealing makes sense. Thanks much.

• Lisa S.

I would clean it, not paint it. This is a counter top which can get a lot of wear. The paint will chip off, and you will have a mess.
  • Elaine

Hi again: I think you will be very pleased with the effect! May I suggest one thing? It’s purely a decor choice but remember, if you use black paint on the grout, it will create a MUCH “busier” look because each tile will be outlined in black. We each have our own decor tastes so if you think you’d like that look (the contrast between white tile and black grout), go for it.

Personally, I prefer a more subtle effect so I’d use a creamy white OR how about a very pale grey? It’s a color in the middle .... between white and black; a compromise! 🙂

I really urge you to think on it. What you could do is get a two large white poster boards from the dollar store and mark off some squares that are the same size as your tiles. Draw some squares then outline the drawn “tiles” .... one of the boards with black Sharpie and the other with a grey Sharpie and then compare. That will help you decide on paint color. Have fun!
  • Eileen

I had yellow tile in bathroom, painted it white with 2 coats and it looks great, job was easy, grout and all.

• Lisa Hall Smith

they make actual grout paint that is very reasonably priced and made for grout so it will cover, seal and hold up to spills and washing. It's called GroutRenew, polyblend...it comes in many colors, including white and is sold at most hardware sores. I paid $15 and did a 400 sq ft kitchen, then a mud room and a master bath and still have left over. Great value for the price.