Kenneth Lavelle
Kenneth Lavelle
  • Birmingham, AL

What's wrong with the flourescent light over my kitchen sink?

EbbjdlBig luluLynn sheedy
+11

I turn on the light and it will not turn on unless I tap the end of the tube with my finger.

The bulb prongs are not making a solid connection with the brass tabs in the brackets. Make sure the power is off to the fixture. Remove the bulb. You will see two brass tabs in each bracket. Use a small screwdriver, tip of a knife and slightly bend the tabs towards the center. Replace the bulb.
  • Johnavallance82

Need a new starter ( small round thing)
  • Nancy Turner

Sounds like a short somewhere. If you put in a new bulb and it does the same thing, you can start with replacing the starter, or get a new fixture.
  • Claude

New bulb?
  • Cheryl A

try a new bulb first and if that doesn't fix it then more than likely the balast is bad and the fixture needs replacing. They wear out all the time

Ballast either is good or bad. No in between. Light works with a tap. Just a loose bulb.
  • Lynn sheedy

Tighten the bulb
  • Big lulu

That ususally means your bulb is getting close to burning out. Yes, first try replacing the bulb.
  • Ebbjdl

It needs a new bulb or ballist. (Check that spelling).

Ballast is either good or bad. No in between. Tapping the tube means not making full contact.