Mercury Glass Mason Jar

$15

I've been wanting to try this painting method for a while and thought this would be a good time, with all the holidays approaching.

I always have mason jars in the house so it was my go to item for this cute candle holder.

This project takes less than 4 hours to complete and will be perfect for a last minute decoration for many holidays.

This project didn't cost me anything to do since I had everything on hand. I will put in the estimated pricing if you needed to purchase all of the items to compete this project.

Since I make jewelry I decided to add some of my gems and fun beads to the project. This step is not necessary as the candle holder looks really nice on it's own.

This technique will work with any type of glass so i'm sure there will be a lot of projects that can be done.
This is all it takes to make this cute project. Vinegar, in a spray bottle, mason jar (or any other glass object) and looking glass spray paint.
I sprayed the bottle with the vinegar (not diluted) and then did very light coats of the glass paint. The glass paint dries very quickly so I was able to do three passes on the jar within 5 minutes. I let it set for about a minute then used a napkin to wipe off the vinegar. I wiped the vinegar off in an up and down motion. I'm sure you could do it in any direction and get a different pattern.
Once i wiped off the vinegar I let the jar set out for about 20 minutes. I think covered it with a clear gloss. If you don't use a clear coat or sealant of some type, the glass paint will come off on your hands as you handle the jar.
This is the finished project without any decorations...A little sisal or ribbon can be added if you want.
I added the sisal around the top with two rings so that I can change out bead decorations for each season. The sisal rope I used a hot glue gun to attach it. I did leave 2 inches of the rope unglued so I could move the rings if I needed to depending on the beads I'm adding. I added some Halloween beads to make it festive.The bead part of the project i did not add into the cost but if you are interested in how to do that part of the project or would like to know the cost of that type of addition, please feel free to ask.

Have fun with this. I can't wait to try other colors of metallic paints using the same technique.

This is a great gift idea too.

• Becky Riley

Does it have to be looking glass spray?
    • Lisa L Smith

you can use other colors but it really needs to be a metallic paint in order to get that look. Make sure you use very light coats. It may take two or three coats to get the look you want so be sure to use the vinegar then the paint on each coat. Let me know if you have any other questions.
  • Becky Riley

does it have to be looking glass spray?
    • Lisa L Smith

Hi Becky, No...for the look to be right you would need to use a metallic paint though. Make sure you use very light layers as you don't want the spray paint to run down the side of what you are working on. If you need to do multiple layers, make sure you do all the steps, vinegar then paint.
    • Jina

Mercury glass is all about the mirrored quality of mercury. You shoukd be aware of the fact that plain lerallic paint is not going to achieve the desired results, though it may be interesting in it's own way--just not classical mercury looking.
      My friend collected vintage glass punch/tea cups and short crystal stemware and applied the technique for my wedding reception tables Except, like real mercury glass, she spray the inside (1 coat, no seal coat). Each table had 3 different glasses with actual tea lights burning from dusk on and was gorgeous!!
      , I made the round placemat and set Swarovski crystal in each for a magical effect
  • Margaret Moore

what is the purpose of the vinegar? to get the bubbly effect?

• Lisa L Smith

Yes.. You need the vinegar for that effect. I actually wiped the vinegar off after I sprayed the paint over it so I got a very streaked appearance. You can just dap the vinegar off and get more of a bubble look.
  • Infoseekrs

Somehow I can't see the comments. Please forgive if this has been asked. To clarify, the steps are clean and dry the glass, spray on vinegar then spray on a few light coats of glass paint then dab or wipe away vinegar after how long? It seems if we wipe or dab too soon it'll just smear everything.
    I love the changeable beads for the different seasons! Thank you.
    • Lisa L Smith

I just let the paint dry for a couple of minutes. Not too long as the vinegar will dry too. You are lightly wiping the areas with vinegar so it doesn't remove the other painted areas. If you just touch a paper towel to the vinegar and then wipe upward it will work perfectly.
  • Beverly

I do want to try this what kind of sealant do you recommend?

• Lisa L Smith

If you aren't putting the container outside you don't need a sealant. The paint I used it made for glass and it has not chipped since I made it. (and dropped it- Ha ha).

If you want a good sealant, you can get any clear spray sealant. You could use a paint on sealant if you would rather, but you may get brush marks or uneven coverage.

Hope this helps.