Barb brown
Barb brown
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Kalamazoo, MI

Does anyone know what this table is?

JpCareyPatti
+12

I have had this table for a very long time, but have never known what it is called. I am adding pictures, but please excuse the mess. We have all of our maps in each little compartment.
q does anyone know what this table is
q does anyone know what this table is
  • Sharon

50s magazine rack
    • Dwight Patterson

It is a Gideon table that were used in the motels and hotels for a business person could sit and write. It would have lots of stationary, envelopes and also some instructions about the motel, city information.
  • Lucky you! I love these old pieces. Yes a magazine rack. Enjoy having it, comes in quite handy doesn't it? Perfect for all your maps.
  • Barb brown

Thank you too
  • Jp

depending on size, it could also be a cabinet for storing LP records.
    • Carey

It would not be for LP Records. LP Records were always stored on their edge in order to keep them in good condition. Laying on their side will warp them and then they are ruined. The sound would then have a warped sound!
  • Pam Beck

Grandmother had one similar to this and it was for records.
  • Prw29956440

It's called a Credenza. File storage to go beside a desk without looking like ordinary office furniture.
  • Susan Lannoy

Could it be a sheet music cabinet?
    • Robert Fortney

We had a similar cabinet when I was growing up. We used for sheet music as well. It was also a great place for tea/ coffee when playing
  • Patti

I agree with Jp. It looks like where we kept our Victrola records. We had a few when I was growing up. If you don't know what a Victrola is it's an antique record player. Most all of ours even had to be cranked. But they were beautiful and bring back many great memories. Sorry for going on and on.
  • Carey

It could be for Victrola Records. Unlike LP records which are made of Plastic and are subject to warping, the Victrola records were made of a hard, ceramic like substance so that they were not subject to warping, and were often stored laying down on their side.
  • Jp

it's a tip out "drawer." When closed they would be on edge.