Greenhouse.

$150
Advanced

We had an area under our deck where we had tried to put up plastic as a temporary greenhouse. Needless to say, it was ugly and did not work in the cold North Carolina winters.
greenhouse
We found old wooden windows at a local antique store for $8.00 each. They were in good shape. I knew others had used windows to create greenhouses, so I thought we would try it.
greenhouse
We tore out the old, leaving the wood frame.
greenhouse
After measuring and planning the best way to utilize the windows and wood we already had, we started creating.
greenhouse
We began putting the windows in. We are not carpenters nor are we expert at building but we tend to find our way as we go. We added 3 windows across the top and 3 on the bottom. We framed them using wood from other projects.
greenhouse
We also had to build one end. We used 2 windows. The other end will be the door. We have to purchase one. I plan on using a screen door covered with plastic.
greenhouse
Inside I used wire shelves with inexpensive brackets. This will be for trays of seeds and plants.
greenhouse
This is finished gront, trimmed and stained. I used Bombay Mahogany. It is the most beautiful stain with poly included.
greenhouse
Inside I put a long shelf for potting.
greenhouse
There are take for drying herbs.

• DP

won't the deck rot with plastic underneath? water wouldn't be able to drain properly.

• Natalie Jarnstedt

We're having 3 glass sliding doors replaced (9 separate panels) - how can I use them somewhere else - also a greenhouse?

• Carey

ROC33605681 is absolutely right! I had a piece of Tempered glass & I did everything I could think of to try to trim! NOTHING WORKED. Finally frustrated, I whacked it with a hammer! Still intact! : ) So I went to a professional and was told that you CANNOT cut it! Therefore, Plan to use your doors at the size they are! Be thankful that you have them and make your plans accordingly!

• How do you keep the windows from falling apart in the weather?

• Diane Forte Barfield

Well, they are stained and sealed with poly and caulked inside. Since they are old windows they are hard wood which should last a long time.