Angela Mattison
Angela Mattison
  • Hertford, NC

Does Orchids have to ha E there own type of dirt and how do you water

Janet PizaroMichael WinterrowdEroque022810
+3

• Linda

They don't really go in dirt, they grow in wood chips type media. Orchids are parasite plants, like mistletoe and actually grow on trees, my cousin grew prize winners in her yard in Fla. They need humidity.
  • Dfm

I haven't seen that flower in a dirt medium.....it's usually bark chunks....I think they are parasites. And feed off host trees.
  • Catherine Anspaugh

orchids don't actually grow in dirt. They grow in a combination of spagham moss and bark. You can find these items at Home Depot which has its own orchid section, or on Amazon. Let the plants dry between watering , then I put mine in the kitchen sink and spray them thoroughly
  • Eroque022810

Yes so deepening on where you live you can just sprits it and they need food as well its special and the box tells you exactly how to do it . Some people will totally water the plant not in the planter for a period of time I can't remember but it's on line and some water weekly with icecubes. They do sell personal humidifiers that just use water bottles that's what my aunt uses and she's in Chicago so winters do cause the air to be dry. It's great I believe she bought it at bed bath and beyond. But you really should go to a nursery that is just orchids and have them replant it for you in that Woodbury looking stuff. Check your local botanic garden as well they sometimes offer classes and displays of orchids and you can buy it their. Don't be shy if they are planted in soil take it out and examine the roots for rotting. If they have nothing to hide they will think you know your stuff. The roots need the air circulation and grow out of planters all the time and it will be up to you if you don't mind it them let them do their own thing or if you don't like the look just repot it in a larger planter. They almost always are in one's that look like UFO's, round disk shaped. It allows more airflow for the roots.
  • Michael Winterrowd

Yes, get it at Home Depot and follow the instructions