Cynthia E
Cynthia E
  • Daleville, AL

Faux Mossy Stone Head Planter

$.37

I found 2 of the game "Operation Brain Surgery" heads at a re-sale store. Another score paid .75 total for both of them (was missing all the rest of game pieces they just had the heads). Of course I knew they would become head planters. I decided 1 of them would be a mossy stone. (still deciding what the other 1 will be finished like).. First I removed decals (eyes and game name) by heating them for a few seconds with hair dryer then peeled them off. Next I took a razor knife and cut off the rubber hair triangles to make pot opening. To make the mossy stone finish. I used a flat black spray paint for plastic and covered everything. When that was dry I sprayed the whole piece with Krylon's white stone paint after dry I sprayed a second coat of the stone paint and let dry (used stone paint for the texture). Sprayed 1 more time with the flat black and let dry. I then used a sea sponge and a medium gray color paint and sponged all over. I then took a dark mossy green and sponged all over, adding more green or gray as I felt it needed it.. I then took the same colors for the eyes...green for the iris ,black for the pupil and gray for accent on pupil. After eyes were dry I sprayed with an exterior satin shellac, 2 coats. When everything was Dry I added plant. The longest and hardest part of this project was waiting on the paint to dry.
Final product
Final product
Close up of final
Close up of final
View of plant. Couldn't resist using this 1. It is a succulent called a rock plant which to me resembled brains... How appropriate for the head.. Can't wait for it to fill in planter (may go get another 1 :) )
This is after base paint and the stone paint have been done
This is what head looked like when started