Cynthia
Cynthia
  • Mount Sterling, KY

Can you cut metal with a jigsaw?

Debra EvansWilliamMichael

I have an old (very old) bed headboard and foo board that I want to make into a swing.

• Michael

Yes, but you need the right type of blade! The blade to cut metal is very different than the blade for cutting wood. Go to your local hardware store and tell them the make of your jigsaw and you need metal cutting blades for it. If you're not sure how to replace the blades in your jigsaw, take it with you and have them show you, or look up a youtube video for your model jigsaw.

Michael is right. Get some jig saw metal cutting blades. Buy extras. Its slow going so let the jig saw do the cut. Don't force the cut or the blade can break.
  • Debra Evans

To cut metal you need to use a blade specifically for metal. I would think a sawzall with a metal cutting blade might work better depending on how thick the metal frame is.