Cheryl DOVER
Cheryl DOVER
  • Hometalker
  • Sebastian, FL
Asked on Oct 8, 2017

Are mushrooms at the base of an Oak a sign that it is rotting inside

16999903NandiniRenee Vlna
+7

Answered

I found 3 clusters of mushrooms around the base of a large oak that is close to the house. Is this a sign that the oak that the pan is rotting inside. Picture attached.
q are mushrooms at the base of an oak a sign that it is rotting inside
1 mushroom clump
8 answers
  • Maf22547311
    on Oct 8, 2017

    These mushrooms are delicious., In Italy they are called "Senorina"...Clean them
    & fry them in Olive Oil and Garlic.. Taste like chicken,
    And, No, from my experience over 17 yrs. my oak trees are fine. Hope this helps.
    M.White, Martha's Vineyard MA
  • Maf22547311
    on Oct 8, 2017

    P,S...if you're uneasy about eating mushrooms out of your yard, rather than
    the supermarket, maybe you should get some local farmers' advice,
  • Colin Putman
    on Oct 9, 2017

    No.but don't eat them
  • Billnolde
    on Oct 9, 2017

    This mushroom is a fungal fruiting body of a root rot pathogen called Armillaria. Oak trees are particularly susceptible to root rot pathogens. The presence of this mushroom is an indication that the disease has progressed into a systemic disease inside the tree.

    Do not ignore this disease if you value the tree. Armillaria can be deadly to oaks and other species of trees. Contact an ISA Certified Arborist who is a specialist in tree health care and is a certified pesticide applicator in your state. There are treatments for this disease but they must be applied by a professional.

    Don't hire anyone who claims that they need to spray the canopy of the tree as a treatment. That is dangerous and not an appropriate application method. Basal stem injections or soil drench methods using fungicides labeled for Armillaria are most effective.
  • Renee Vlna
    on Oct 9, 2017

    mushrooms usually grow on dead wood.
  • Nandini
    on Oct 9, 2017

    These are Hen of the Woods and a delicacy. They need to be picked before they turn orangish which means they are too overgrown and become inedible. Delicious sautéed in olive oil and garlic.
    we have not had one under our oak for 3-4 yrs. very expensive in restaurantS.
  • 16999903
    on Oct 13, 2017

    In situations like this, I think it's always best to get a professional...and arborist or tree doctor....WITH references. Not your average landscaper. We have other mushrooms growing near the roots of other tree varieties. They's just popped up late this summer. Time to do the same.
Your comment...