Catherine
Catherine
  • Winter Park, FL

Garage ceiling peeling and splitting along the seams

WendyPJ WiseEbbjdl
+3

After hurricane Irma , many many shingles blew off my roof. I have called insurance company and am getting prices. The problem is inside the garage. The water backed up during the hurricane and entered my garage. I was still in a safe shelter and the water just sat .That and we did not have electric for a week. When I returned home , water had evaporated but the humidity and heat had a field day . What was left is ceiling is peeling , and along the seams each line is splitting and opening. I now have one section held up with wood planks. Am I to assume correctly , roof and ceiling two different problems and who can I contact to basically redo the garage ceiling ? I am also having a company come out to check for mold .Thank you for your suggestions

• 27524803

Your insurance company should cover the drywall or wall board inside the garage as well as any insulation... it is all part of the storm damage... irregardless... the drywall an insulation should be removed... because of mold issues
  • Ebbjdl

I would call a contractor to come and look at the garage. Your ceiling needs to be nailed to the beams, so they don't fall. The planks are a good idea, until you have it fixed. The mold will develope after everything is somewhat dry. If you get a contractor, on the phone ask if he's licenced in your state. Make sure he gives you a contract, how much the total job is, how many days to complete. Some contractors are busy because of the hurricane, so the'll try to get as many jobs as possible. They start one job, then the next day they call. "I don't have the screws or nails, I'll have them in 2 days". Meanwhile they start another job, and so on. Make sure the contract is for consecutive days in a row or it will take 3 weeks to finish the job. Call at least 2 contractors, for estimates. Last, only give them a deposit when they start working usually 1/2. or. 1/3 of the total job. P.S. do the roof first. Good Luck! EJL
  • PJ Wise

I really wouldn't get a contractor involved until you know what insurance is going to do! No matter how many issues you have with your garage, they all appear to be from the same cause. Perhaps the garage will be totalled rather than need multiple partial repairs, so rather than wasting time and money, wait for guidance! DON'T GIVE MONEY TO ANYONE... that's why you have insurance; plus, your insurance company may have working relationships with contactors in your area!
    • PJ Wise

I'm sorry you have to deal with a rep who doesn't know his job! I'd recommend bypassing the rep and go to the holder of the insurance company where the rep works and have them come and look at your property!