Asked on Oct 8, 2017

My house house dark brown panel walks in two bedrooms and the hall way

SDebra EvansWilliam


can I paint over this?
7 answers
  • Archie
    on Oct 8, 2017

    Yes. Clean it, sand lightly, prime it, paint it.
  • Johnavallance82
    on Oct 8, 2017

    Yes, If it is unfinished wood, Prime, Undercoat and then top coat. If it has been sealed - either Sand and then proceed as above or use ESP (Easy Surface Prep.) then undercoat etc........
  • Elaine
    on Oct 8, 2017

    Yes, you definitely can. I would first ask for advice from a paint dealer as they may suggest applying a coat of a certain primer that will ensure there’s no “bleeding through” of any wood stain from your current panelled walls.
  • Vrohde
    on Oct 8, 2017

    Years back I had the same thing in my house. Paneling everywhere. I took the paneling down and turned it around which gave me a nice flat surface to do whatever I want. Or paint on the side with the lines you can use wood putty to fill the lines with let dry for 24 hr. sand where it might be over line and paint. Good luck I used both ways and it worked. Good luck hope this helps
  • William
    on Oct 8, 2017

    I've done it! Make sure the paneling is clean and dry. Prime with a good stain blocking primer like Zinsser 123, BIn, or KIlz. I had Kilz on hand. Paint with regular latex acrylic paint. Mine had grooves, like yours, so I filled the grooves with drywall patching compound. Let it dry over night. next day I used a damp sponge to smooth out the compound. Then painted.
  • Debra Evans
    on Oct 8, 2017

    Yes by using a good primer and paint. It will make a big difference in the room. I painted my paneled den white and it was so much bigger feeling with the lighter paint. Primer is the key if you are using a lighter paint. I chose to leave the grooves in the panels instead of filling them in. I liked the feel of beadboard on the walls.
  • S
    on Oct 9, 2017

    Thank you so Much everyone-this will be my Christmas Break Project

Your comment...