Dottie
Dottie
  • Derry, NH

How to prevent squirrels from eating flower buds in winter?

SallieKelly SmithSheila
+15

Too large to wrap in burlap.
q how to prevent squirrels from eating flower buds in winter
Is there something I can apply to rhododendrons that the squirrels will not like?
  • Job29802297

I did Rells All that repels all sorts of critters. it is a very noxious spray that I use on Hostas ,lemon lilies. The odor will be strong for a day anyway. Plants must be dry to spray. Wear longsleeves,gloves and eyeware. Not toxic just disgusting at first. Walmart,Tractor supply and feed stores have it In white trigger plastic container.

• Myr8816833

hot pepper flakes from the dollar store and can also spray liquid red pepper. this does not hurt birds but squirrels don't like it.
  • Patricia fehr

Ya might also try give them something they like better. For example, they love corn cobs.😊 You can also buy logs that either hang or screw into trees. As cute as thay are, they can be distructive. I had to stop putting christmas lights on my back deck because they chewed the wires and stole the bulbs. I'd find the bulbs in the spring burried in my mulch!! I guess they looked good enough to eat😅
    • Dottie

We feed the birds and trust me they eat plenty of that! Haven't found a squirrel proof feeder that they could not get into yet
  • JUDIE

PELLET GUN
  • Kelly Smith

I had good luck with planting basil in my flower pots with various flowers. Both squirrels and bunnies left my plants alone for a change. You might try planting basil as a barrier.
  • Dottie

Thanks I may try this👍
  • KatAych

Offer them an alternative. Our neighbors have a huge avocado tree that butts up to our backyard fence and is home to a family of squirrels...we secured a small piece of wood to the fence and leave them sunflower seeds, granola, and the like and they come down everyday, scoop up the offerings, and scurry back up into the tree.
  • Barbara Baldwin

I have never heard of squirrels eating rhodies
  • Sheila

I was told, by a friend who owns a nursery, that if we put chunks of Irish Spring soap on our deck rails, that squirrels HATE that smell. We live in a neighborhood that has countless walnut trees and this was the first summer i have had with NO SQUIRRELS on our deck. It works like a charm, and is less pricey than dropping $50 on sprays and pellets. and much less labor intensive than applying several products. ONCE I placed the small chunks of the soap, that protected our deck the entire summer.
  • Kelly Smith

That’s funny!😄
  • Sallie

Gonna try this one. Squirrels bury acorns and then trees sprout in the bushes.
    Rae