Linda
Linda
  • Blackfoot, ID

Painted Paneling

Mac14396386SuzetteJan
+7

Previous owner painted wood paneling. I'd like to fill the lines and repaint. What should I use so I can get smooth finish?

I fill the groves with drywall patching compound. Let it dry overnight. Next day I used a damp sponge to smooth out the compound. Primed and painted. I had Kilz primer on hand, but any good stain blocking primer will work. Zinnsser 123, BIN, or KIlz.
  • Annise MacKinnon

There is a tape you can buy @Home Depot.
  • Kcama

Depending on the size, filling and smoothing the lines would be a huge task. You have some options. Lath that goes over the line (prime and paint first, then fill any nail holes). Go with the lines...we painted our dark family room paneling white, leaving the lines - it has the old below-decks ship's lath look.
  • Debra Evans

You could probably use wood filler or joint compound to fill the wood lines and then a lot of sanding to make it smooth. I think that would be a lot of work to get it completely smooth.
  • Jan

Fill in with wood filler then smooth out. Takes a lot of time because you have to smooth it on let it dry and then paint over it. what I did with mine was paint with a texture paint. It hides the lines pretty well.
    • Linda

Thank you , only have 2 short walls,. I think texture will help if not smooth.
  • Suzette

Hi, Here's a how to video that may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bilYtsUXW4

Good luck!
  • Mac14396386

I heard spackling but also saw that people complained that after awhile it started falling out-lot of work too-all that sanding!!