How does chalk paint hold up on kitchen cabinets?

Sandra  ViningSusan Ellis YamakawaNanag57
+7

I have solid wood cabinets of good quality but the color is orange and ugly. I would like to hear from those who have used chalk paint to paint their cabinets. I would just wax them after painting with a good paste wax. I am not interested in a distressed or antique look. Thanks.

• Linda Sikut

Chalk paint is most effective IMO when used for distressing or antiquing, but yes you can use chalk paint to paint your cabinets. Many people swear by it because you don't have to sand & prime everything. I'm a bit 'old school' and like my latex paint. I like that I don't have to wax it every once in a while. I like how easily it cleans up. I don't mind doing a coat of primer and a couple of coats of latex paint, to have that freedom of not waxing regularly, but that's just me. I hope you hear from the chalk paint fans so you have a balanced picture of the two types of paint.
  • Sandra Vining

Go for it but be sure to wax I have chalk painted almost everything and love it
  • Nanag57

I had my cabinets chalk painted 3 years ago and they look like the day they were finished. They clean up great! Annie Sloan chalk paint and wax. I painted my dining room set 2 years ago and that's holding up great too! Re: waxing, I've only touched up a couple of times.
    • Kat5731023

Have you used any chalk paint other than Annie Sloan? I saw some by Rustoleum in Home Depot.
  • Linda Sikut

You're welcome!
  • Nanag57

I've heard the Rustoleum Chalk paint is awesome!
  • Susan Ellis Yamakawa

Check out Fusion paint- I’ve only googled it - it seems awesome
  • Sandra Vining

You only have to wax once with chalk paint When cleaning use soft cloth in warm water no harsh cleaner you will be find