Asked on Oct 8, 2017

Leak in shower pipes...

Vicki BushertCori WidenCatherine Anspaugh


cant turn water off !

5 answers
  • Sharon
    on Oct 9, 2017

    I would call a plumber fast.
  • Dfm
    on Oct 9, 2017

    you need to shut off the water at the main line. Find where the pipes enter the house,,,,fallow it to the one that has a lever on it. Put the lever in the opposite position it's in currently in. Turn on a tap.if the water is off you will get what is left in the should look ok then start to trickle. Then call a plumber. Mop up any water on the floor. Shutting off the main means no water in the house For drinking cooking and flushing. Generally 1gallon of water per day for each person in the house For cooking drinking etc. emergency toilet...5 gal. Bucket lined with sturdy garbage bags....kitty litter in the bottoms good 2 inches. Cover when not using.
  • Catherine Anspaugh
    on Oct 9, 2017

    Im afraid I don't actually understand the question. Could you rephrase?
  • Cori Widen
    on Oct 9, 2017

    Turn the main water line off, and definitely consult with a plumber first..
  • Vicki Bushert
    on Oct 9, 2017

    is it a leak coming directly from a pipe or solder point? Or is it a dripping from the shower/tub faucet.

    if it's coming from the shower/tub faucet or hot/ cold handles. You can fix it.
    turn off water at main.
    Then change valve stem. (Look on YouTube for a video on this. Since there are plenty of different brands/types of valve stems. You will need to remove the stem. Then immediately take it to your hardware store to get an correct replacement. Then reinstall. Since you would be doing at least one/ hot or cold. Sometimes it's easier to replace both at same time. Make sure to keep the info on the valve stem. That way if it happens on the can get it before you start the next time.

    ps. If you have 2 or 3 handle shower faucet. Then there is a difference between the hot and cold stem. They both turn in different directionS. So it's important to install the correct one.

    if the leak is coming from the actual pipe. Just call a plumber.

Your comment...