I bought a mini dril to drill holes in some seashells.

RoxanegDfmElizabeth Michels Pinizzotto
+3

I managed to drill holes in some thinner shells, but can't even make a mark on some small cockle shells that I have. Any ideas on how to maybe soften these shells so I can drill them?

• I think you have to get a masonry or hardened drill bit. People who make jewelry use sharp awl like tools.
  • Dfm

diamond tip drill bit?
  • Roxaneg

You might look into diamond burrs to create your hole. They are used on glass and ceramic tile as well as other materials, and you might find a size that works best for your shells. https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=diamond+burrs

They come in different grits-- 300 very fine and 80 coarse-- and the come in different shapes that might fit your needs.

Then take a small plastic container and put a sponge on the bottom and fill the container with water so you can drill underwater. I drill glass and working underwater extends the life of the burrs.
    • Sharee

Thank you. I looked up those burrs. Will they make a hole as small as .5 mm? I don't understand the grit thing.
  • Roxaneg

Diamond burrs can be used on glass, stone, ceramics, and shells. I use them for glass and use them in water to extend the life of the burr. Use a shallow dish (I use Tupperware) and put a sponge at the bottom. Add water to cover the sponge and a bit beyond and drill away.

Do a bit of practice to get used to it.
  • Roxaneg

There might be a bit in one of those assortments that will be that small.

The grits are easy: 300 grit is fine; 80 grit is coarse. A fine grit will take longer to get through the shell, but will produce a neater hole. Eighty grit will cut through the shell faster, and may leave a rougher hole. The higher the number, the finer the grit.