How should I maintain my home hot water heating system

DfmJewellmartinRoxaneg
+2

The water is rusty.

• Linda Sikut

If your water is rusty, there is probably rust somewhere in the system. You can try cleaning it out but you may need a professional. Here's how to maintain a hot water heating system.

I wish you the best!
  • Roxaneg

You probably have a rusty pipe in the system and fluctuations in the water pressure in the system is knocking loose the rust. If the brown water is coming from the hot taps only, then you might need a new hot water tank.

If the brown water is coming from both taps, then try to flush the system: turn on your taps for 20 minutes. You can try flushing your water heater by turning down the thermostat, turning off the gas, turning off the cold water supply, turn on a hot water tap in the house to help drain the water, release the pressure valve, attach a garden hose to the spigot on the bottom, turn on the spigot and flush the tank.

Tanks last 10-20 years and it helps to flush the tank once a year. If the flush doesn't work, you may need to consult a plumber.
  • Jewellmartin

Uh, oh! If the bottom pan of the hot water heater is rusty, either call a plumber or drain and replace the hot water heater. If it rusts out on its own, you might have a rusty flood in your house. Best wishes 😇💖
  • Dfm

atmy place...all the taps were rusty...there is a water softener installed and I added a softener with iron removing properties. Works like a charm. With out the softener...all was orange. Clr and I were good buddies.... but I'm not sad to break up it. My pipes are original 1952.