Barbara
Barbara
  • Monument Beach, MA

Recipe for dawn and vinegar based window cleaner?

B. EnneDalila OlivaKarla
+2

white vinegar and water 50/50 a dab of blue dawn and a dab of jet dry
  • Karla

I haven't heard of this for Windows, but I use 2 C. Vinegar, 1/4 C Dawn in a squirt bottle for grimy showers/tubs. I have a cleaning business and I've tried numerous commercial window cleaners, but the best one and the one I'm going to stick with for forever is alcohol. You can mix 3 parts alcohol (just the kind you have in your medicine cabinet) to 1 part water, if you want to stretch it. It doesn't make a difference performance wise. It does not streak or smell and it dries very quickly. If you happen to get streaks, use a different towel. It's weird, but there are some towels that just "streak". I think you'll be happy with your Windows' shine using this.
  • B. Enne

Just remember that the more Dishwashing liquid you use, the more rinsing off you need to do. Dawn is concentrated, you don't need to use a ton of it. I would start with 1 squirt, and work up from there.
    I use cornstarch and water and make a liquidy paste, in a small bowl. I make more as needed. I put it on with the cloth, and let it dry. then I buff it off with a lint free tea towel, and my windows sparkle and shine. I was shocked about this, thinking it would leave a huge mess, It actually seemed to repel dirt better too.
    Here's a similar recipe (I don't use newspaper).
    Here is another recipe with cornstarch:
  • Dalila Oliva

No not dawn it will need rinsing you want vinigar and water and for no streaks use newspapers to clean and dry the wondows