Do you cut your clamata's or leave them whole on trellis in the fall

CarmenRaeCheryl A
+5

Depends on what variety of the clematis. I leave mine until the new growth begins in the spring.This way only the dead vine get cut and not the growth for the potential flower
  • most people I know cut them off once the leaves start looking brownish and they always return the next year.
  • Deb3350875

i cut my clematis back about half way.
  • Harlean Greathouse

I used to do as Janet, and cut away only the dead vines in the spring, but it is hard to tell the dead ones. I have cut what I thought was a dead vine, and found that I also was cutting off green side shoots. So last year I cut them all back to the ground in the Fall, and they grew very rapidly in the Spring, filled out nicely and flowered beautifully in the Summer.
  • Beverly Parrott

I leave them because new growth comes back on these in spring
  • Cheryl A

we cut ours down every year and they come back big and beautiful in the spring and actually bloom twice a year in our area in GA
  • Rae

I have done both. We live in the nw corner of Ohio so we do get some nasty weather in the weather. I have in the past if not cut back take the plant down and kinda wrap it around itself and leave on the ground.
  • Carmen

I leave them. New growth will sprout on the old and dried vines.