Karen Brown
Karen Brown
  • Clarkston, WA

How can I fix my hardwood floors after they were painted red?

Patti CardinalSandra AllenFauxgal
+2

I purchased a 1941 home and I am in the middle of renovating it. I removed the carpet in the living room only to find the original hardwood floors painted Christmas red!!! Help, I am on a tight budget and doing it myself. I am hoping there is something I can do that is simple and affordable.

Thank you

Citristrip a safe non toxic remover
  • Fauxgal

You can rent the big commercial sanders for hardwood floors. But they typically chew up the floor. It is sadly, something they don't keep in good working order., and you could be stuck with a ruined floor and no options. Other than sanding it off, or a chemical peel..... So maybe just pick a new paint color.... :/
  • Sandra Allen

I have heard of good results from Peel Away 7. They say to do a small area at a time to prevent it gumming up and drying out before you are ready for the next area.
  • Patti Cardinal

If you decide to sand it, use a sander with s big flat plate that vibrates in small circles (reciprocal sander?). Not a drum sander. The pros use drum sanders but they take practice and can ruin your floor quickly. The reciprocal sanders take longer, (I think they are for fine finishing) but they won't make your floors uneven. Start with Coarse sandpaper, then go to fine. If you don't go to fine grit, you will have little circle marks all over your floor.