Linn
Linn
  • Southgate, MI

How to use denatured alcohol to remove wood finish.

Nancy TurnerBig lulu

My builder used a very poor grade if finish on the oak moldings. I took the denatured alcohol to remove old finish. It removed it but need some advice to begin removing large areas. What type of brush, rag or paper towels should I use to apply alcohol and what to wipe it away? Any advise appreciated.

• Big lulu

It would be way easier just to paint the moldings.
  • Nancy Turner

If you used a brush on what you already removed, just use one that is larger, just not wider than the area you are doing. What did you use to wipe it away? I would say continue with what you were using, just plan on using more. Don't do more at once than you can take care of, so that you don't have to reapply. Take breaks, you don't have to do all at once. You don't need to wear yourself out or hurt yourself by doing too much. It will still be there until it is done.
    • Linn

I used a small old sheet that I cut into small pieces. What would you use to reseal the wood. Polyurethane??? Thanks
  • Nancy Turner

I always use polyurethane just because I know it is really durable.