My hibiscus doesn't bloom. I live 9,000 ft high in Peru.

+10
q my hibiscus doesn t bloom i live 9 000 ft high in peru
  • Ed Cannon Ed Cannon on Oct 09, 2017
    they need sun or grow lights to bloom
    • Tom Lea Zinter Tom Lea Zinter on Oct 09, 2017
      Hi Ed. This is the patio off my living room and we have a plant called a schleflera, that's a giant and grows high as the second floor! The rest of the plants (5) are growing well though ~ I think they don't get sun. I'll look for grow lights (assuming they have them here) or put it outside in the front (south). Thank you so much for the help!
  • Bijous Bijous on Oct 09, 2017
    It's either scared of heights or it's not getting enough sun and the roots may be either water logged if there's no drainage hole or if there is one, it's not getting enough water. Try this web site:

highaltitudegardening.blogspot.com/2006/08/lord-baltimore-hibiscus.html

Good Luck!
  • Anthony Anthony on Oct 09, 2017
    if i lived in your area i would rather grow Bougainvillea...you would get better blooms
      It grows beautifully here! And it's got beautiful blooms! ........but I have a hibiscus that it sounds like need it needs more sun.........
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Oct 09, 2017
    They need full sun out doors and extreme bright light inside.Do you get any buds at all?
      Yeah, I get buds........then I get aphid on them before I see them and then spray........I spray a mixture of alcohol, anti-bacterial liquid soap, water, a teeny bit of insecticide. I think I need to put them out front (south) for them to get more sun. Thank you for your info on the sun...I think they need some!
  • Donna Sheppard Donna Sheppard on Oct 09, 2017
    It appears your plant is inside. Hibiscus prefers full sunlight. If pot is root-bound, you need to re-pot with a larger one and new potting soil. They should also be pruned every year. The most important thing to get blooms is to fertilize (I use the regular Miracle-Grow) however, there are actual "hibiscus fertilizers." Good luck
    It will need re-potting to control the insects
    we don't get Miracle Grow here (I used it all the time in the States), but we found a man who makes his own 'earth' and it's great stuff, but there's nothing labeled here! I wish I could get that hibiscus fertilizer here! Thank you for your wonderful ideas though. By the way, my hibiscus is one of many plants in an enclosed patio off my living room, but the largest one is a giant scheflera that grows to the second story!! I think it's ended up that it needs MORE sun!
  • Ed Cannon Ed Cannon on Oct 11, 2017
    Shlielera will benifit from the grow lights also. Plants with little sun grow because they are reaching for more light. Light will slow this process some, and blooming plants start to bloom. If you can not find them in Lowes or Home Depot, search online.
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Oct 12, 2017
    Hi Tom, just to let you know I have five hibiscus plants here in Minnesota. They have never had a day of sun since I purchased four of them in June from Menards of all places. Three are double peach, one is single red. I have so many blooms and buds on them that I can't even count them. They have grown a foot in height and at least a foot in width. They get about two hours of late afternoon and evening sun and that has not caused a problem. I had two in an area that got more afternoon sun that the other two and they didn't do as well, so I moved them with the other two and they are even blooming and getting buds as much as the other two now. The fifth one is one a pot planted with two different ones that are much smaller and don't really flower yet. I have only had them for about a month. We will see what happens with end of season sales at Home Depot. They are all living in the garage right now due to a cold snap and the library/back room isn't ready to take them in the south windows yet for the winter. If you can get fish emulsion type fertilizer there, even that would help. Perhaps you could order fertilizer online? Any way, try more light, but that may not be what you need. In the past couple of cold days and nights, mine have been almost totally sunless and the flowers are still opening and buds growing.