Renters carpet

FlipturnChubby58Roxaneg
+8

I have horrible renters carpet. What is the most economical, best buy hard flooring, or a way I, as a renter can over the living room, dining room carpet?

first question are you allowed
  • Flipturn

The carpet is wall-to-wall?
  • Sharon

Get a large area rug and put it on top, you can use carpet-to-carpet tape to keep the edges down. I have even seen some nice big rugs at St. Vinnies thrift store cheap.
  • Jennifer

I am a renter and I try to use as many area rugs and throw rugs as possible... Cheap, easy and it's yours so you can take it with you when you move!
  • Kim

Area rugs can help. Buy large enough rugs to cover most of your floor. One for your Living room and one for your dining room if they are separate.
    : )
  • Jennifer

Rugs, rugs, rugs....

• Roxaneg

I put laminate over carpet gluing together the tongue and groove. It worked fine. I also had a friend who made a canvas floor covering that she painted to cover up the sins of her own renter's carpet.

There's no law that says you can't cover the carpet with throw rugs or a carpet of your own.
  • Chubby58

My Dh and I have a rental townhouse that was covered in carpet. We pulled it up and had luxury vinyl installed. Best indecision weever made.
  • Flipturn

If the wall-to-wall carpet is very worn out and dirty, then contact the landlord and request that it be replaced, or at least professionally cleaned.

You described it as "horrible". If it is very unattractive, or if you really don't like it for another reason, then your best solution is to purchase an area rug to go over the wall-to-wall carpeting.
    Unfortunately as a renter, there is unlikely little else you can do to change it that would not overstep your privileges as a renter.