Asked on Mar 9, 2014

Re-purpose wooden spools

Rosalie chowKim RoseDianna
+30

How can I reuse 4 wooden spools 3" x 3 3/4" and almost a 1/2" hole in the center?
Thanks!!!
  • Adrianne C
    Adrianne C

Great cat toys!

• Ang
    Ang

string onto a hanger and wrap ribbon around them for a great place to wrap Christmas gifts

• Sue Mc Neely-Ogara
    Sue Mc Neely-Ogara

maybe decoupage them and make pendents for a necklace

• Sue Mc Neely-Ogara
    Sue Mc Neely-Ogara

or decoupage and make Christmas tree decorations

• Jeanette S
    Jeanette S

Paint them a color to match your decor, or leave them natural for that rustic look, attach them with a screw to a nicely finished board and use it as a robe rack in a bathroom, or a jacket holder in a kid's room, or nice "leave it here" space in a guest room.

• Brenda Barton
    Brenda Barton

If you are good at crafts , you could make miniature furniture for doll houses or gardens for gnome garden furniture. All of the above ideas are great,also.

• Stephanie Carlan
    Stephanie Carlan

I got long screws and used mine for cabinet or door pulls worked great!!

• Marla Stewart
    Marla Stewart

I have put silk flowers in them for a pretty arrangment. I have also wrapped them in ribbon or tied a ribbon around them and put a candle or LED candle on top. You could also wrap them in burlap.

• Dandelion Patina
    Dandelion Patina

I like to wrap with bakers twine and make them into small card/photo holders. Finding some vintage flashcards with an interesting word or picture would be a nice touch as well.

• Moonchild627
    Moonchild627

i have seen such spools used as candle holders. You can paint or embellish them as desired or just leave them as is.

• Janet R
    Janet R

@Ruth, Wax or varnish, then use them as candle holders.

• Geniva Barringer
    Geniva Barringer

Growing up we have used them as cabinet or dresser knobs, screw several on a door frame board for coats or caps or towels, use for Christmas decorations for garland strings, use for making dolls feet and body, my Grand mother wrapped elastic and ribbon on them as well as many uses I cant remember now

• Geniva Barringer
    Geniva Barringer

Forgot the best things used growing up, making wheels for toys or doll wagon or feet for small plant stand for Mom....wish I had a bunch of wooden spools now....

• Geniva Barringer
      Geniva Barringer

Morning Ruth, I may have some old patterns to share off I can find and will post when I do. Had the cutest quilt doll with spool feet so she could stand. She was like a Raggie Ann doll.

• Camilla Hudson
    Camilla Hudson

I glue them to the bottom of cigar boxes in all four corners. Then spray paint it all white. This will make the base for a doll bed. Then I use hot glue to attach a gathered lace skirt on the outside of the cigar box. Then I sew a ticking and pillow the size to fit inside the bed. Then I make a sock doll to fit the bed and paint a face on the doll. Great as a gift to a grandchild or use in a craft show. My grandmother made mine when I was a child and I still have it. That was over 50 yrs ago.

• Dianna
    Dianna

attached to drift wood/antiqued wood and hang necklaces off of

• Kim Rose
    Kim Rose

I teach a lot of art classes...and my favorite use for spools is to get driftwood (with a 1/4" hole drilled in), acrylic and wood bead in assorted sizes and colors that have holes large enough for the string or twine (or rexlace when making it with children as it is easier for them to use as it doesn't unravel) and make a wind chime.

• Rosalie chow
    Rosalie chow

I made a wooden doll out of the my wooden thread spool. I also made a fake gumball machine.