Mice

+4
I had rented a house that had mice going up and into the bottom piece of siding, and we had a severe mouse problem as long as we were there. I know the mice did that because I'd see them as I sat on the porch. The landlord said there is no way that could happen. I told him if we could caulk the bottom of the last siding board we could get control of the mice problem. He could do it, we could do it. But his answer was no, it couldn't happen.

• Amanda Amanda on Oct 10, 2017
    Hi Theresa. Mice can get into the smallest places. If you saw them with your own eyes I am sure that they are getting in. I would have another talk with him and tell him it needs to get under control. Mice can cause a lot of damage. You can also purchase D-Con. It is a poison that they eat, or try sticking moth balls up the siding. They don't like the smell. Good Luck!
  • Dfm Dfm on Oct 10, 2017
    i like a live catch trap for mice- no way for them to wander between the walls and die. a poisened mouse will kill the cat that eats it.
  • Dianacirce70 Dianacirce70 on Oct 10, 2017
    Well, that is a pretty crappy landlord, since mouse droppings can cause some bad health issues, including hanta virus, and it can irritate other respiratory problems like asthma. I'd say caulk is cheap, get some and fix it and don't say anything to him. If you are willing to cover the cost of say mini-blinds or curtain rods, things that if a tenant installs they are supposed to leave, you could cover the cost of caulk to help keep your family healthier.
    • See 1 previous
    • Dianacirce70 Dianacirce70 on Oct 12, 2017
      yeah, unfortunately they tend to die in the walls, where they nest. We have that issue where I work. We are in the middle of a very rural area, and get mice kind of bad, sometimes. As we speak the smell is slowing fading away in the supply room. But I swear, it must have been a whole nest, it smells awful!
  • Lisa S. Lisa S. on Oct 10, 2017
    "Just One Bite" mouse/ rat poison. Available at farm stores, not in a regular store. Also on Amazon.
  • Ebbjdl Ebbjdl on Oct 10, 2017
    First of all , mice can get in the minute places. They can make themselves as thin as a pencil, if they want to get in, the'll get in. They were looking for a place to make a nest inside out of the cold and rain. Get rid of mice by placing several envelopes with a little cat hair, seal, put a few holes in the envelopes, and put them here and there, the'll be gone fast. They get the scent of cat, they take off.