Mice

Laura PettitDeb3350875SandyG
+5

I have an ungoing argument with my son, a single dad: he uses a small pail for garbage, and a tall garbage for recyclables. He will not put covers on them. I say the smells is what will attract mice.

• Kim

Actually, you are both correct. Mice can be attracted by smell, but a lid on a trash can does not block the smell.
    : )
  • Lisa S.

I place my recyclables in a small basket, which I empty several times a day. As you have to rinse food containers - this does not present a problem. I have a wooden garbage can with a hinged lid. If you don't like what he uses, consider buying hi a can with a hinged lid. He probably doe snot want to have to wash the lid - so he keeps it off.
  • Dianacirce70

Mice are attracted to food, plain and simple. The recycling, probably not so much, since mice tend to like high carb type foods the most. But the trash... people tend to throw out a lot of food. But they are going to go where they can find shelter, too. I had them really bad in my chicken coop a few years back. I can't say that the smell, alone, is what is drawing them. They tend to explore and stay where they can find some comfort. Where I work is in the middle of a large rural farming area, we get mice pretty bad. It is definitely not because of the smell of food, its more shelter and they get lucky with some food. Or they get unlucky with the shop cat we keep... if he has a big problem tell him to get some peppermint oil, mix it in a spray bottle with some water and spray his foundation and points of access, like dryer vents. Even if they are higher up, mice can jump an amazing distance.
  • Ebbjdl

Keep the lids on the garbage, they do attract the mice. It's a constant availability for them. They know where to go for food.
  • FL

His recyclables should be washed before discarding into the bin so they should not smell. His garbage should have alid or should be emptied on a daily basis if not. The first time he or his kids see a mouse in the kitchen and freak out, he will take your advice.
  • SandyG

If there is a hint of exposed food, mice will find it and cause a mess.
  • Deb3350875

The trash should be taken out every day, but left open. closing it helps
    bacteria to grow more and causes smell etc.
  • Laura Pettit

Sounds like he won't listen to you. Send him a video of what kind of nastiness mice can do or go to globalnews.com and share their article with him on mice. It's a very good web page